1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vectra C Design Estate 1.9 Cdti 150

Discussion in 'Vectra Diaries' started by clarkey, Nov 23, 2015.

1. clarkey

clarkey Member

Drives:
    07 Vectra Estate
    Got myself a Vectra C estate 1.9 CDTI 150 brake. It is the Design model and is comfortably finished. Power tailgate is very cool feature. It has only 341K on the clock. Just ran in I hear you say. One previous owner and all I can say is it was used but not abused. Here are a couple of pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tracey humber and Blackie like this.
  2. clarkey

clarkey Member

Drives:
    07 Vectra Estate
    When I first got it, it was down a bit on power so I checked the swirl flap actuator on the inlet manifold and sure enough it had worn & fallen off. Willie informed me of a kit available to repair rod so I had a look on ebay and decided to give it a go. Rod looked like this upon removal.

[​IMG]

Plastic sockets on rod had worn oval and had fallen off ball on swirl flaps.

[​IMG]

Rework kit I went with was this one
    http://vanos-bmw.com/z19dth-z19dtj-1-9-tid-intake-inlet-manifold-swirl-flap-rod-repair-fix-kit
    and looked like this

[​IMG]

Just removed black plastic sockets from rod and holes were already there to attach new kit. Rod now looks like this.

[​IMG]

Fiddly enough to put back on. I had bent rod slightly when reworking it so it kept popping back off at first. When I straightened it out it stayed in place. Performed actuator test on swirl flaps with tech2 and it worked fine. Not sure how long it will last as I suspect ball on swirl flaps worn too but for €40 for kit delivered it was worth a go. Took for a spin when complete and improvement is noticeable.

Blackie likes this.
  3. clarkey

clarkey Member

Drives:
    07 Vectra Estate
    I had a look at swirl actuator just to check if it was working. Plenty of miles done and it is spot on.

[​IMG]

Also got myself one of these to fit.

[​IMG]

The CID is a tidy upgrade. Sat nav is a bonus

Aaron and Blackie like this.
  4. clarkey

clarkey Member

Drives:
    07 Vectra Estate
    Got around to fitting CD70 & CID today. Straight forward swap really. Got a sat nav antenna off ebay and fitted it on dash @ lh 'A' pillar. Everything else just plugged in. It had been fitted to a Vauxhall so I changed the Griffin to Opel Blitz on start up when I was programming it in.

Original set up.

[​IMG]

Some programming

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now looks like this.

[​IMG]

Slight draw back is CD70 only holds one CD as original CDC40 is a 6 disc changer. Luckily Sat Nav map disc was still in CD70 unit and it works a treat.

Blackie and s4ddys like this.
  5. RADB02

RADB02 Admin
    Staff Member Administrator Elite Member

Drives:
    Vec Cdti 1?? bus
    Looks like a nice tidyllic motor matey, rare colour too :)

Keep the car well serviced nd there will be many more years left in her

6. clarkey

clarkey Member

Drives:
    07 Vectra Estate
    Cheers. Liking it more the longer I have it. 51mpg fuel economy not too shabby either.

That is the plan. Going to get Aux input sorted for Cd70 and then it will be just keeping maintained.

RADB02 likes this.
  7. clarkey

clarkey Member

Drives:
    07 Vectra Estate
    On a trip to local breaker I came back with the following.

[​IMG]

Thought I had all I needed to get AUX in working but I was very mistaken. CD70 head units produced before MY08 do not support Aux-in. I did find out that it was possible to rework it. All I needed to do was change head unit code index with tech2, update unit firmware (Bought a disc with new software from Opel) and solder approx 15 SMDs onto board of head unit. Sounds simple.

Got components and gave it a go. I must say the soldering of components was way more difficult than I expected. Most of the SMDs are smaller than a match head and some of them are located on the board in places with limited access. I also developed a shake in my hands half way through. After two hours and possibly the ugliest soldering job witnessed by man I had it back together. Tried it in the car but only had sound from LHS.

Contacted supplier of components. He correctly suggested reflowing solder on all installed components should work. I had used a regular electric soldering iron but decided to get a gas iron before going at it again. When I eventually reopened head unit again I did find one particular component that was poorly soldered. Went over them all just in case. Second time round was easier and gas soldering iron was way better. All back together now and working as it should. Am more than happy with the result.

[​IMG]

Aaron, Tracey humber, Blackie and 3 others like this.
  8. garybaldi69

garybaldi69 Administrator

Drives:
    Vec C CDTI 1?? Bus!
    Tidy motor mate, good choice on upgrading the headunit

9. clarkey

clarkey Member

Drives:
    07 Vectra Estate
    Cheers. Works a treat and also opens the door for further CID upgrades. All in good time.

Love new rims on your motor BTW.

RADB02 and garybaldi69 like this.
  10. RADB02

RADB02 Admin

Drives:
    Vec Cdti 1?? bus
    Fairplay for giving the head unit a go, im too impatient to even attempt something like that so its a job for someone else :lol

Cant comment on the aux input either as my new estate has the aux factory fitted :)

garybaldi69 and clarkey like this.
  11. clarkey

clarkey Member

Drives:
    07 Vectra Estate
    Cheers. Had to give it a go as Aux-in gives so many music options. Had I known what was involved though I would have sent it out to be done. Very delicate work with tiny components. I will not be looking to do it again. That said I do get a sense of satisfaction when playing tunes from phone, i-pod etc through car stereo.

RADB02 likes this.
  12. garybaldi69

garybaldi69 Administrator

Drives:
    Vec C CDTI 1?? Bus!
    I need aux input on mine :-(

RADB02 likes this.
  13. Blackie

Blackie Member

Drives:
    '07 Vec SRi CDTi 150
    Great work buddy! I didn't realise you were from my side of the pond, albeit the other side of the border lol

clarkey likes this.
  14. RADB02

RADB02 Admin

Drives:
    Vec Cdti 1?? bus
    Fairplay for having the patience to follow the work through ;)

clarkey and Blackie like this.
  15. clarkey

clarkey Member

Drives:
    07 Vectra Estate
    Cheers. I recognised your username from OOF when you had Mig. Worked on loads of Vectra's through the years but never had one till lately and then got 2. Parked up my own Mig and got C estate daily and B project.

Blackie likes this.
  16. clarkey

clarkey Member

Drives:
    07 Vectra Estate
    Cheers. Had anger management light on over the weekend and turns out it was ferked EGR valve. Amazed by how much they have dropped in price. All sorted now.

17. RADB02

RADB02 Admin

Drives:
    Vec Cdti 1?? bus
    Best off just fitting a full blanking plate and getting the nasty things mapped out.

Its been proven theyre what kills dpf's aswell. Ive mapped a lot of egr valves out on cdti taxi's and a few have been estates with a dpf filter. The ones that still remain on the road still have the dpf in working order with no issues

18. clarkey

clarkey Member

Drives:
    07 Vectra Estate
    Fair point but problem with living on west coast of Ireland it means a drive to east coast to find someone reliable to do job correctly. Luckily DPF was not fitted to my machine so not such an issue.

Was out in local scrapper and these caught my attention. Apart from a few scrapes they are straight besides.

[​IMG]

18s may be a bit optomistic for Irish roads but gonna get em refurbed and have on standby.

Tracey humber and garybaldi69 like this.
  19. clarkey

clarkey Member

Drives:
    07 Vectra Estate
    June bank holiday and family wagon had to work overtime. Cycle on the greenway from Mulranny to Achil Island followed by a trip out the island to Doogort beach at the foot of Sliamh Mór.

[​IMG]

BuzzKill and garybaldi69 like this.
  20. clarkey

clarkey Member

Drives:
    07 Vectra Estate
    Not been on here in a while. Vectra has been behaving very well. 360,000km on clock now and needed new tyres so went with 18's. Very happy with result.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aaron, s4ddys and garybaldi69 like this.