1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vectra B V6 Altenator Removal

Discussion in 'Vectra B Chat' started by OzVectra, Dec 16, 2017.

1. OzVectra

OzVectra Active Member

Drives:
    Vectra-B2 V6
    I have had now for some years a problem charging the battery, the voltage while idling is 13.3v, typically. That is never going to charge the battery so I think it is time to do something and change the regulator and brushes in the altenator. I have a new battery so it is not that.
    I have removed the two long bolts holding the alternator but something else is holding it in. What else has to come off?

2. Mr and Mrs V

Mr and Mrs V Apiarists
    Elite Member

Drives:
    CD Hatch & GL Estate
    G'day Hannu......the belt and wiring!!! :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Seriously though, I believe the silly plastic duct on it has to go, the driveshaft, and undo the exhaust downpipe.

Hth. Better you than me matey.

3. OzVectra

OzVectra Active Member

Drives:
    Vectra-B2 V6
    Thanks Mr V, I decided to put it back. the belt is fine. too much work and it charges at 13.8v, I will keep topping up with a charger for now when needed. one point positive though, the bulbs last a lot longer.
    I just have to do weekly rest voltage checks to see the charge % of the battery so that it won't leave me stranded one day. The charger voltage has been that low for a good 10 years.

4. Mr and Mrs V

Mr and Mrs V Apiarists
    Elite Member

Drives:
    CD Hatch & GL Estate
    I can recommend the C-Tek brand chargers if you're after one. All five of our vehicles have charger connections and 2 of the 4 chargers are C-Tek. I got the 1st charger after killing my old battery when I moved to just 1km from work.

If a C-Tek extends the battery life by just 50% it'll have paid for itself.

That is of course unless one of you engineer types doesn't want to make one yourself. :tonguewink:

5. OzVectra

OzVectra Active Member

Drives:
    Vectra-B2 V6
    C-Tek is a good recommendation, I have heard it is good. I had a chat with one of the santa's helpers and he said there is an adjustable power supply in the sleigh for me which I can use also with some of the experiments and repairs I do as well as charge the battery exactly as I want. But for a carefree solution C-Tek would be perfect.

6. Vectra-Arctic

Vectra-Arctic Well-Known Member
    Elite Member

Drives:
    3 Vectra B's.
    Nice to have some posts from Vectra Sports's Australian Division :smokin:

Mr and Mrs V and OzVectra like this.
  7. OzVectra

OzVectra Active Member

Drives:
    Vectra-B2 V6
    Thanks Vectra Arctic, we operate vectras in a different environment here than you guys in the UK. no rust but sunburn. We have had in the Sydney's western part up to 44 degrees in the recent week and I have to say that although the aircon is 17 years old and never been refilled, it does a pretty good job, does not have to be on full blast for long to get the cabin comfortable.

8. Vectra-Arctic

Vectra-Arctic Well-Known Member
    Elite Member

Drives:
    3 Vectra B's.
    I just love aircon. How do the Vectra's paint & clearcoat stand up to the Oz heat and sunshine? I thought the clearcoat may deteriorate after a few years with those temps.

9. OzVectra

OzVectra Active Member

Drives:
    Vectra-B2 V6
    Vectra clearcote is pretty good, it withstands Aussie sun quite well, not like some Korean cheap cars that peel after few years. I use quality polish, if I didn't the paint would not be in as good condition as it is. most of the paintwork is almost as new. I keep my car in the garage which avoids the pollution and morning fog turning into acid and eat the paint. I have a black astra too where the roof clearcoat was eaten by pollution because it had not been protected with quality polish. took me 3 hours to cut with fine polish and apply new wax. now it is quite good apart from small crater like pits where a droplet of acid has eaten half of the clearcoat off.

10. Mr and Mrs V

Mr and Mrs V Apiarists
    Elite Member

Drives:
    CD Hatch & GL Estate
    Haha, Australian Division..............I love it!

Yeah, who would've thought, a thread of mostly Aussie posts.

Yeah, was 41 here today. Most Astra G's here a completely roached. Our wagon (estate for you UK guys since this is an Aussie thread....lol.) needs a complete respray. The roof is so badly oxidised. I'll see if I can get pics. My hatch just has a touch on the spoiler as it leads a very sheltered life, literally.

The hatch has no rust though. The shed, just a touch in the R/H dogleg from Mrs V parking it under bore water garden reticulation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#10 Mr and Mrs V, Dec 22, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  11. OzVectra

OzVectra Active Member

Drives:
    Vectra-B2 V6
    Looks like the roof has a serious sunburn Mr V. And have had a blob of bird poo near the left rear passenger door. Those country birds poo hydrocloric acid while in the city the paint gets an acid rain treatment.
    I can see that your antenna seal is pretty good, Mine was cracked and leaked few drops in the rear roof liner which now has a stain. Also the roof liner has come off the mold and is hanging down a bit. Got to take that off and fix somehow. That antenna seal, it costs megabucks at Holden but I bought a rubber universal seal from ebay for a dollar that stretched in place nicely.

12. Mr and Mrs V

Mr and Mrs V Apiarists
    Elite Member

Drives:
    CD Hatch & GL Estate
    Yeah that antenna seal has been replaced. 'Twas about 20GBP, but if you've got a hatch you'd be better off getting a black or color-coded shark fin and bonding it with polyurethane or some such.

The headlining in that has been out & re-clothed too. Not as easy a job in a hatch, but still doable. You can get spray on glue and your choice of fabric. I'm dreaming of black alcantara/suede for the next time.

13. OzVectra

OzVectra Active Member

Drives:
    Vectra-B2 V6
    Next time? how often do you do it? Mine started to separate last year and this year it is pretty much all hanging down.

14. Mr and Mrs V

Mr and Mrs V Apiarists
    Elite Member

Drives:
    CD Hatch & GL Estate
    Haha, sorry Hannu, that came out wrong. That's the only one I've done in owning 2.5 Vecs. I just mean if I ever do another one again, I'll get black alcantara rather than some drab grey cloth like this one.

My hatch will never need doing as it barely sees the sun, and it is the heat that causes the glue to melt and thus the lining to sag.

Merry Christmas.

15. OzVectra

OzVectra Active Member

Drives:
    Vectra-B2 V6
    Mr and Mrs V likes this.
  16. Mr and Mrs V

Mr and Mrs V Apiarists
    Elite Member

Drives:
    CD Hatch & GL Estate
    Sorry bud, I was thinking geez I'm easily distracted....lol.

17. OzVectra

OzVectra Active Member

Drives:
    Vectra-B2 V6
    Hey, all good i dropped the idea of pulling the alternator out and got more interested in the roof lining Mr V, thanks for your contribution. I am not sure if I should try to re-glue the original material back or replace it altogether with better material. The original seems very thin and stretchy and any glue would probably seep through.