1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V6 Conversion Questions

Discussion in 'Vectra B Chat' started by Mr and Mrs V, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Mr and Mrs V

Mr and Mrs V Apiarists
    Elite Member

Drives:
    CD Hatch & GL Estate
    I know there has been a bit of info on this topic over the years, but there doesn't seem to be anything specifically covering these two nagging questions of mine.

The concept is to start with a low-optioned (GL or Club spec, TID not MID, no ABS etc.) shed/estate/wagon with a 2.2/C22SEL (think X20XE) and put a 3.2/F23 into it.

1. Will I have to change the dash loom to even get the engine to run without MID etc.

2. Can it be run with an X25XE or Y26SE ECU without ABS? Even if I fit the front speed sensors to run the TC, unless of course they go via the ABS ECU.

@beef1985 & Dave Bradley, a penny for your thoughts lads.

beef1985 likes this.
  2. beef1985

beef1985 Well-Known Member
    Elite Member

Drives:
    beefs 3.2 done by me
    what engine is in the Vec at the mo mate then can have good idea what ull have to do then if u get me?

3. samson100

samson100 Well-Known Member
    Elite Member

Drives:
    Bmw
    The concept is to start with a low-optioned (GL or Club spec, TID not MID, no ABS etc.) shed/estate/wagon with a 2.2/C22SEL (think X20XE) and put a 3.2/F23 into it

Mr and Mrs V likes this.
  4. Mr and Mrs V

Mr and Mrs V Apiarists
    Elite Member

Drives:
    CD Hatch & GL Estate
    Hey Keith, It currently has a 2.2 or a C22SEL, which only came to Australia and Brazil I believe. It runs the Siemens Simtec ECU (56.5 I think). Mechanically (out of the engines that you got in the UK) the lump is most similiar to the X20XE, but a stroked version.

The donor ingredients available here include: X25XE's, Y26SE's, Y32SE's, F23's (not sure if they're rod or cable), and lots of auto slushboxes.

5. beef1985

Elite Member

Drives:
    beefs 3.2 done by me
    U will need the clocks and wiring loom that’s just for the engine mate,as for the abs and stuff u can leave that with out if u really want to ,and all depends what u prefer cable or rod I like cable witch means ull have to stick with the f23 gear box but just replace the cables easy job for full conversion well all really is it goin to be track car something? Hope I have picked u up right as well :)

6. Mr and Mrs V

Mr and Mrs V Apiarists
    Elite Member

Drives:
    CD Hatch & GL Estate
    Yeah Keith,@beef1985 I already have a set of V6 clocks, ECU/transponder/keys/engine loom, spare sub-frame to build on, starter, alt, plenums etc. All from a 2.5 wreck I had.

When you say loom.....you mean dash or engine? If you mean dash I may as well change the whole lot. Not something I look forward to.

It's not that I want to leave the ABS out. It has never had it (no estates here did) so none of the wiring will be there. I can't really summon any interest in running looms the full length of the car for rear sensors etc. I just wonder if the ECU will run without it. Isn't that where the Bosch Motronic ECU's in the V6's get their speed input from, via the ABS unit? That's why I questioned putting the front sensors in for TC. I can't very well get around without a working speedo.

F23. I don't have a choice. It's the only manual box we got here in the B's. The 2.5 only came with an auto, hence why I have one. Not my choice there either. I've no experience with rod or cable setups as a result. I imagine cable would be better.

No, not a track car, a grocery getter. Kind of similiar...lol....just involves more broken eggs. ;) I don't think anyone would bother with an estate track car from a chassis point of view, but we now have my 2.5 hatch & the VW Scirocco so that frees this up to be toyed with. I just don't want to make a Frankenvec that is never free from electrical gremlins.

7. beef1985

Elite Member

Drives:
    beefs 3.2 done by me
    U will need engine loom to go to ecu as for the dash loom u could bypass it with not having abs anything like that as long as u bolt the ecu on the bulk Head witch’s means u don’t have to mess about extending it ull be fine ,as for the f23 box’s are good mate :),u will have to swop rad over as well as header tank as the v6 ones have level senser in them where the old ones didn’t cos with u having the v6 clocks in u would get check coolnt all the time but make sure u pull the abs bulbs and tc bulbs out and air bags cos am taken it hasn’t got air bags in front?

8. Mr and Mrs V

Mr and Mrs V Apiarists
    Elite Member

Drives:
    CD Hatch & GL Estate
    I won't be bypassing the ABS remember. It's not there at all. I know that sounds strange because all of yours had it, but hey.......penal colony...lol.

Why would anyone have to extend the ECU loom? I'd have thought you could just mount it where it always goes under the scuttle/panel under the wipers.

Spot on Keith, no level sensor or its wiring as the car has a TID (yellow plug) atm. Can the yellow plugs accept a MID? Would this need the dash changed as well?

The header tank will be a challenge. I broke a connection on mine (with sensor) and the aftermarket Australian ones don't seem to be compatible. I'm now waiting on a gen. unit coming from Germany via a friend there.

It has a drivers airbag, but I'd go dual anyway as I have a passenger bag and a compatible dual-bag control unit for that as well.

I would need to put the engine bay loom in for the rad. too, as the C22 doesn't have any of that electric coolant pump malarkey. So I'd think it best to put all of them in the bay such as fogs, TC etc. Future-proofing??

9. beef1985

Elite Member

Drives:
    beefs 3.2 done by me
    Yeah sorry mate that last comment for some reason on the loom extended don’t listen to that bit must of been on different planet when wright that bit :(,as long as I have everything from the v6 then mate ull be fine and yeah ull need all wiring like u say for fans and fuses and stuff cos the vans run two different fuses as long as u got it all should be straight forward pal ;)

Mr and Mrs V likes this.
  10. beef1985

Elite Member

Drives:
    beefs 3.2 done by me
    With running the v6 change the clocks and not to sure on the plug pal sure ends on the pre face and face lift models have different ends sure they are different am sorting my clocks out over Xmas and new year cos few bulbs have gone soon as see the plug I’ll no right away mate

11. Mr and Mrs V

Mr and Mrs V Apiarists
    Elite Member

Drives:
    CD Hatch & GL Estate
    This is all FL. The donor would have to be a 2.6 in order to get a man. box, although I think I'd prefer a 2.5 to miss out on all that cat/pre-cat malarkey on the 2.6's. Any thoughts there?

There's a yellow mid plug and a grey one. Not too sure on the diff. I'm a bit concerned on this ABS/TC thing though.

Merry Christmas to you & the fam. Keith.

12. beef1985

Elite Member

Drives:
    beefs 3.2 done by me
    Merry Christmas and happy new year to u bud as wel ;),
    U can use 2.5 stuff on a 2.6 just use all the top half from 2.5 and use on 2.6 but u will need the ecu as well and throttle cable set up but bar from that should be good and as for the abs as long as u use the 1.8 set up stuff that will bypass for new engine we should do if u get me

13. Mr and Mrs V

Mr and Mrs V Apiarists
    Elite Member

Drives:
    CD Hatch & GL Estate
    Yeah, I've got 2.5 plenums/loom/sensors etc.

What do you mean by the 1.8 stuff? We never got a 1.8 here btw.

14. beef1985

Elite Member

Drives:
    beefs 3.2 done by me
    Sorry bud thought u got 1.8 wanting to put the v6 in to it may bad sorry bud it’s a 2.2 wasn’t it?

15. Mr and Mrs V

Mr and Mrs V Apiarists
    Elite Member

Drives:
    CD Hatch & GL Estate
    Sorry 'bout the delay Keith. I been mad busy here.

Yes mate, it currently has a 2.2/C22SEL with no TC of course as it doesn't have ABS.

What two extra fuses are there? For the rad. fans?