1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saving Gsi 26477

Discussion in 'Vectra Diaries' started by stevie16v, Nov 26, 2016.

1. stevie16v

stevie16v Active Member

Drives:
    2.6 gsi (restoring)
    I'm going to nip in to pirtek tomorrow and ask if they can make lines up. Says on their site they can so I'll ask the local shop.
    The rust on the chassis rails is pretty bad but they can have new box sections welded in. I really need someone who knows a bit more about welding etc. I'm still toying with the idea of breaking but I've put so much time and effort in, who's to say it wouldn't be the same with the next one I picked up. At least this way I suppose I know it's done properly and should serve me well for a while

2. tubbz2015

tubbz2015 Well-Known Member

Drives:
    vectra b 3.2 gsi
    Hopefully they can do the fuel lines then mate and with the welding your probably better off booking it in at a garage to get them to check if it will need to have the rot cut out and then a new section welded in least you will know its done properly.

Also i wouldnt break it mate not when youve vome this far and put so much money and done such a good job on it mate also think of it as aslong as you still own it all your money wont have gone to waste mate :)

3. stevie16v

stevie16v Active Member

Drives:
    2.6 gsi (restoring)
    Got let down by the guy coming to look at it re the welding and he's now not answering his phone so I'm guessing he can't be bothered with it.
    Meanwhile, to keep me ticking over, I make up my own fuel lines, cupra nickel pipe and attached it at the flexi pipe. It's secure and should do the job!
    Still waiting on the G cams which I ordered so once they arrive I'll get the engine ticking over again then it's crunch time with the rusty chassis rails, from speaking to people who know much more about it than me it seems it should be a straight forward enough job. Just need to find someone to do it!

tubbz2015 likes this.
  4. stevie16v

stevie16v Active Member

Drives:
    2.6 gsi (restoring)
    And so it looks like it's not going to be economical to save. The front wings where the bonnet mounts appears to have rusted through aswell and is crumbling, sub frame mounting points both front and rear, chassis rails, rear box session behind slam panel. Would be looking around £500 at mates rates. I hate throwing in the towel but needs must unfortunately. I will be hunting for another one, but I'll be a bit more fussy and check it over properly now I know exactly what to look for

NeilGo likes this.
  5. tubbz2015

Drives:
    vectra b 3.2 gsi
    What a bummer but if i was you mate id be keeping the engine out of it with all the stuff you have done to it can always put it in a new one :)

6. tubbz2015

Drives:
    vectra b 3.2 gsi
    Or you could always learn to weld yourself and give it ago at fixing it yourself mate :)

7. clarkey

clarkey Member

Drives:
    07 Vectra Estate
    Sounds like the more you look, the more rust you find. Tough decision but you can't save them all. Good luck with the search.

stevie16v likes this.
  8. stevie16v

stevie16v Active Member

Drives:
    2.6 gsi (restoring)
    Haha, i'd set the house on fire!

I don't have the facilities to get the engine out but I'll be taking the heads off of it and either hanging on to them or selling them. Kind of gutted, and now got the hassle of dealing with time wasters for selling stuff

9. tubbz2015

Drives:
    vectra b 3.2 gsi
    No u wont if u learn properly mate and yh thats y i kept everything ive ever changed on mine ive got 2 broken engines one sat in my back garden and one sat in the garage plus a gearbox cus never bothered to try sell them cus all the messers :( if you didnt live so far id lend ya me engine hoist to take the engine out mate but you could just drop the subframe off it and pull the engine out that way :) or you coupd keep the whole car as a spare if you get another one :)

10. stevie16v

stevie16v Active Member

Drives:
    2.6 gsi (restoring)
    Thanks for the offer.
    I don't have the space to keep 2 unfortunately, The mrs would go nuts. As long as I can recover some costs then that's the best I can ask for

11. tubbz2015

Drives:
    vectra b 3.2 gsi
    You should be able to recover alot of it back mate as youll make quite abit if you break it shame it has come to you having to break it tho mate :(

12. stevie16v

stevie16v Active Member

Drives:
    2.6 gsi (restoring)
    I'm pretty gutted because I have literally put blood, sweat and tears in to this. It's been a learning curve tho! I'll never make back what my outgoings on it where but you live and learn

13. tubbz2015

Drives:
    vectra b 3.2 gsi
    I know how you feel mate all the money and effort i put in mine ill never get it bk but i wont get rid of mine cus aslong as ive still got it ive not lost any money on it one day ill get it back to a restored state that im happy with :)

Hopefully your next one will b a better one mate :)

stevie16v likes this.