1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saving Gsi 26477

Discussion in 'Vectra Diaries' started by stevie16v, Nov 26, 2016.

1. clarkey

clarkey Member

Drives:
    07 Vectra Estate
    Savage work so far mate. The devil is in the detail and your attention to detail is second to none. Good luck with rest of resto.

stevie16v likes this.
  2. stevie16v

stevie16v Active Member

Drives:
    2.6 gsi (restoring)
    A few more pictures just to keep it updated

The exhaust valves had quite heavy carbon build up and the seats where a bit manky and pitted, made a rough grinding sound when rotating them in the head.
    So, valve grinding paste and tool to the rescue. Two steps, first rough then fine paste. They're silky smooth now.
    The inlet valves were perfect, no need to reseat them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New valve stem oil seals on. Elring so OE spec ( it was Elring that came off it too) They are made with an upgrade material which resists heat and becoming brittle a bit longer. They also are ribbed to sit on the guides better without slipping. When I was taking the old ones off a few of them where just loose and sitting there, all of which where on the exhaust side. Hence why it was blowing oil.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. akkers

akkers Active Member

Drives:
    Signum 3.2 v6
    Some great work you've done mate

stevie16v likes this.
  4. NeilGo

NeilGo Well-Known Member
    Elite Member

Drives:
    2.5 V6 SuperTouring
    Good on you for taking on not exactly a typical DiY job.

stevie16v, tubbz2015 and davcar like this.
  5. davcar

davcar Member

Drives:
    Vectra gsi 2.6
    just read the thread, I say fair play great work and especially the head work , to me that takes ⚽⚽ lol , hope it goes well for ye, keep up the updates don't think anyone here would get sick of seeing another b, basically having surgery!

6. stevie16v

stevie16v Active Member

Drives:
    2.6 gsi (restoring)
    I'll keep plodding away at it when I have spare time. All I need to hope for is that it doesn't blow up! :D

tubbz2015 and davcar like this.
  7. akkers

akkers Active Member

Drives:
    Signum 3.2 v6
    omg_sign Don't say that mate :button:

stevie16v and davcar like this.
  8. tubbz2015

tubbz2015 Well-Known Member

Drives:
    vectra b 3.2 gsi
    It wont mate only i seem to have that problem of blowing engines up on them my car seems to be a curse lol yours should be fine :) your doing a cracking job on it mate keep it up :)

garybaldi69 and stevie16v like this.
  9. stevie16v

stevie16v Active Member

Drives:
    2.6 gsi (restoring)
    I fear the vision of saving this GSI may be slowly fading. I've thrown a fortune at her, she now owes me over 2k and Still keeps throwing problems at me. It will definitely be needing welding on the chassis rails, the fuel pipe from the manifold to the driver side is corroded and I can't get the thing out or source a replacement. I think I might need to cut my losses and move on :(

10. akkers

akkers Active Member

Drives:
    Signum 3.2 v6
    if you can eventually get it off could you get one made up.?

perhaps a company that makes pipes / hoses etc for excavators and other agricultural machinery could do it.... a few years back i had a wee rover 216 convertible which needed power steering pipes and i couldn't source them anywhere... anyways, i work in construction and a fitter came into replace a burst hydraulic hose on a dump truck i was operating and a couple of days later i'd got the pipes i needed made up from him

11. stevie16v

stevie16v Active Member

Drives:
    2.6 gsi (restoring)
    I probably could but the corrosion on the chassis seems to be more deep rooted than initially thought so I think it's worthwhile cutting my losses unfortunately

12. H

H Well-Known Member

Drives:
    Petrol Blue GSi
    its a vectra b..what you expect!?!

so your guna throw it all away because of a fuel pipe and a chassis rail that needs tidying....dunno quite what to say to that...

as i said before, fuel pipe from vaux or a good used 1 from a breaker (plenty of gsi's been broken)

the chassis rail wont take to much, and its always the front bit that rots.

have u tried the inside rear arches and under your fuel cap rubber...rot there too...could do all welding in 1 go

13. NeilGo

NeilGo Well-Known Member
    Elite Member

Drives:
    2.5 V6 SuperTouring
    Sorry to hear this Steve but like H says maybe you should reconsider? I think Jon or Mandy at Derby Vauxhall Spares 07810877645 might be able to help you as they are always breaking Vectras. Don't give up!

stevie16v likes this.
  14. stevie16v

stevie16v Active Member

Drives:
    2.6 gsi (restoring)
    No unfortunately the floorpan is rotting as is the mounting points around both front and rear subframes. If it was just the fuel pipe I'd get that sorted but it's so much more and the expense is climbing. I'd be looking at we'll over 3k in total for it to be anywhere near ok

15. tubbz2015

Drives:
    vectra b 3.2 gsi
    Mate ive spent about 6k in total since i have owned mine on everything gettin it through mots new engines u name it ive needed it n i still havent give up the first time i put it on the road it cost me 1500 just to get it it road worthy have all the receipts to back it up n ill never give up on mine even if it takes 100k to make it right one day when my kids are my age it will all be worth it :)

NeilGo and stevie16v like this.
  16. tubbz2015

Drives:
    vectra b 3.2 gsi
    I think its a shame for you to give up on it now mate after u have put so much time and effort into it but if you feel it is the right thing to do thats ur choice mate but such a shame to break up another b all cars can be saved

17. stevie16v

stevie16v Active Member

Drives:
    2.6 gsi (restoring)
    I really don't want to buddy but I need it to be safe. I don't know much about welding but can't imagine it's good having to cut out and weld the chassis at a load bearing section

18. tubbz2015

Drives:
    vectra b 3.2 gsi
    Aslong as its welded properly mate it will be fine ive seen my dad weld a complete new floor and all the chassis leg and that was fine mate :)

stevie16v likes this.
  19. stevie16v

stevie16v Active Member

Drives:
    2.6 gsi (restoring)
    Not being one to give up I went out this morning and managed to get both fuel pipes taken out. Any new ones couldn't go in the same way! Thinking ahead and if it is possible to save the chassis, I was thinking about running new copper fuel pipe from under the drivers side up in to the engine bay, then using a flared connection on to the old flexi pipe (obviously via a little bit of pipe still left on it). Think that would work?

20. tubbz2015

Drives:
    vectra b 3.2 gsi
    I know nothing about fuel lines maye but im sure aslong as they can take the fuel pressure it ahould be ok and is the chassis rotten to a extent that you can poke a hole through its rot as if it is still solid you can easily fix it mate