1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuel And Engine Additives- Opinions?

Discussion in 'General Car Chat' started by jazzyj122, Sep 21, 2018.

1. jazzyj122

jazzyj122 Well-Known Member
    Elite Member

Drives:
    Alhambra Stylance
    So recently I've acquired a 1.6 focus cmax and been trying to figure out how to get the most out of it with not much money. I have tried red-ex and similar products in the past and not really noticed any difference. HOWEVER, last week i put some Forte Advanced Gas System Formula in with my half a tank of fuel and have driven over 200 miles since and my findings are... remarkable. The idle is smoother, the throttle is more responsive and it seems to rev more happily. This all makes me a very happy boy.
    This does lead me on to a dilemma. Given that their fuel system cleaner works so well, I was considering using their engine flush and possibly their oil protector to help keep the old girls heart as healthy as possibly. Anyone had any experience using either/or? As I say if they work as well as the fuel system cleaner then the car will be like a new one afterwards.

2. Vectra-Arctic

Vectra-Arctic Well-Known Member
    Elite Member

Drives:
    3 Vectra B's.
    A lot has been written about whether these fuel additives work or not.

I have been driving for many many years and I will say that RedX, Wynns & Forte petrol Fuel Treatments etc have always worked for me with the Wynns one having worked well in my Vauxhall's.

Have never used an Engine Flush treatment as I'm not sure about the benefits, good quality engine oil and regular changes is my advice, I do oil and filter changes around every 5k, not the 10k or the latest 20k mile VX advice. Engine Oil protectors such as STP etc are good but I find they can thin the oil too much, but supposed to provide engine protection for a limited period if say, the sump cracks or falls off or a loss of oil due to a bad leak. I only use GM/Vauxhall's own 10w40 semi synthetic oil and their Oil Filters and have never had an issue so far. Despite my local VX Dealer having dropped the Trade Price scheme, they still do me 5L of 10w40 and a Oil Filter for pennies under £16 so not too bad.

3. jazzyj122

jazzyj122 Well-Known Member
    Elite Member

Drives:
    Alhambra Stylance
    I have just been pricing up giving the c max a thorough service as it hasn't been done to my knowledge in the last 15-20k miles so it's slightly overdue. I am pricing up with using MANN filters as they are a well known brand and seem to be highly regarded when it comes to filtration. Was planning on using shell oil as it's a decent price and always worked well when I've used it in my old zafira and my dad's old omegas.
    I used engine flush in my friends peugeot 206 that was about 8-9k miles overdue a service and the car felt like a different car. Having said that I also changed the filters and the spark plugs so I can't really say how much of the improvement was down to the engine flush. The only car an engine flush has caused problems on was my dad's 2.2 direct Vectra C however that had been burning oil slightly for a while so obviously the engine flush had just made the underlying problem more obvious by removing the rubbish from the engine.
    I have used red-ex in the past but never really noticed any difference. However after using forte fuel system cleaner in this cmax there is a very marked difference. Backed up by my friend (who owned this c max before me) asking what I'd done to it because it felt a lot quicker than she remembered. This is quite a positive comment considering her everyday car is now a 2.0 TDCi S Max that I believe has been remapped. So for her to say it feels quicker is a big thing. It's not just placebo either as she didn't know I'd done anything to it before she drove it. Also her bf remarked that it felt quicker from.the passenger seat too.