1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Andy Browns Gsi

Discussion in 'Vectra Diaries' started by andybrown303, Dec 5, 2016.

1. andybrown303

andybrown303 Active Member

Drives:
    Vectra B GSI
    Hello guys,

Well the black SRi V6 was swapped for something comfier as we had a new baby arrive. Worst mistake i ever made, and a decision i will forever regret!!!

The Omega i swapped it for lasted a week. thats all im gonna say! So i got a lovely 2.2 SRi which is in near perfect condition, gave it new Vectra C alloys with brand new tyres and let my partner have that as her silver Vectra B SXi wasn't in the best of condition and it knocked like a swine from the suspension :( Last week the SXi decided to throw its ECU and then give a loud bang from the engine along with a lot of smoke...so that got sold for scrap, and now in its place sits a silver GSI :D:D:D

Shes rough round the edges and needs a nice weekend of TLC, but more than do-able. Jobs include:

Secure bumpers to wheel arches
    Fix washer pump
    seal gaskets from cat to manifold
    replace the letterbox backbox or fix the rattles
    Tend to some surface rust on arches and scrape on front bumper
    refurb headlights

Pics will follow soon!!

garybaldi69 likes this.
  2. andybrown303

Drives:
    Vectra B GSI
    Said car....

[​IMG]

garybaldi69 and tubbz2015 like this.
  3. H

H Well-Known Member

Drives:
    Petrol Blue GSi
    looks good that...

is it me or does it have a saloon boot spoiler fitted?

apart from the jobs above, whats future mod plans?

garybaldi69 and tubbz2015 like this.
  4. tubbz2015

tubbz2015 Well-Known Member

Drives:
    vectra b 3.2 gsi
    Looks nice mate :)

5. andybrown303

Drives:
    Vectra B GSI

Yep, Saloon spoiler, if i had thought i could have robbed the spoiler off the old scrapper whilst i was knicking the mudflaps and dud, oh well!

Its currently having the washer pump fitted and the gaskets resealed, had chance to have a look under it while its was in the air and its not as bad under as i thought it would be :lol; The ARB bushes need replacing as there is some play an it does rattle from back there a bit, that or the upper control arm bushes as they look very tired.

As for mods - not sure yet to be honest, just want to get it back to a decent standard for now, although i do have a cupra splitter sat next to me i might out on if i get chance :)

Soo much quicker than both my old 2.6 SRi and CDX though, pulls really well, and iv not noticed any flat spots that everyone harks on about.

garybaldi69 likes this.
  6. tubbz2015

Drives:
    vectra b 3.2 gsi
    Has it had any mods done to it mate as you should notice the flat spot on it mine was terrible if you give it some in 2nd it was ok soon as you changed to 3rd it would be flat and take a second to catch on doesnt do it no more tho since i upgraded the engine and other bits :)

garybaldi69 likes this.
  7. andybrown303

Drives:
    Vectra B GSI
    No mods as i can see apart from horifficly painted wheels and some LED interior lights.

If i give it some in 2nd then go to 3rd it goes like the clappers with no flat spots, pulls so well

tubbz2015 likes this.
  8. tubbz2015

Drives:
    vectra b 3.2 gsi
    Mine didnt so dno why mine was so flat going into 3rd :(

9. andybrown303

Drives:
    Vectra B GSI
    Well, gaskets were replaced, then the flexi snapped :( so new cat today, great!

Also i had the car come with 2 keys, 1 blank ready to cut and the spare, i was messing about with them last night, and like a prat i forgot to put the transponder chip back in the spare, no wonder it wasnt starting - what a nob!!! Massive sorry to the lady at the RAC :D

RADB02 likes this.
  10. tubbz2015

Drives:
    vectra b 3.2 gsi
    Lol we all make mistakes mate and buy a decat pipe its so much better also if the flexi snapped check the torque rod mount to see if its not broken as mine kept snapping all the flexi on my downpipe n cat then found my mount was knackard replaced it n no more snapped flexis :)

samson100 likes this.
  11. andybrown303

Drives:
    Vectra B GSI
    Well it must have broke while it was being taken off as it was fine before :(

12. andybrown303

Drives:
    Vectra B GSI
    Gah still blowing from back manifold gasket, thinking the ERG might need blanking this saturday.....

Has anyone done the 5p mod on the EGR pipe, and how hard is it to do??

13. andybrown303

Drives:
    Vectra B GSI
    EGR blanked off with a stella can...... flange from middle section to cat sealed up......

.............Still blowing from somewhere......i swear to god its the rear manifold flange / join.

14. RADB02

RADB02 Admin
    Staff Member Administrator Elite Member

Drives:
    Vec Cdti 1?? bus
    Hi Andy, im guessing the blow is going to be a cracked rear manifold if its still going after the new bits have been fitted.

Does the noise sound like a tapping more than a blow?

15. tubbz2015

Drives:
    vectra b 3.2 gsi
    Does it blow where the downpipe joins to the manifold mate as mine used to blow from the front i always thought it blew from gasket on manifold to block but turnes out to be the manifold to downpipe was blowing because where the circle groove for the gasket to sit in had broke making the gasket not sit properly so it would constantly blow there till i replaced the front manifold so could be worth a look at it mate if you jack it up and get underneath you can get your hand up there to feel around the joins mate if your carefull and when the engine is cold for a few mins thats what i did :) hope you solve it mate

16. andybrown303

Drives:
    Vectra B GSI
    Its a blow for definite, far too loud for a manifold crack IMO

Yeah the rear manifold to down pipe join was blowing, probably still is. Has new gaskets and down pipes last week. I trid to seal it at the weekend with no luck. Blow sounds like its from higher up, suspecting the EGR pipe.

tubbz2015 likes this.
  17. tubbz2015

Drives:
    vectra b 3.2 gsi
    Mine sounded like it was coming from the top of the car untill i went underneath then it sounded worse id check on the manifolds where the gasket sits to see if its grooved all the way round just to be sure mate n then can rule it out and just a thought have you checked to see if the gaskets on the manifold to block r ok and did you do the 5p mod to the egr on the manifold if not try doing that see if the blow stops as my egr pipe had a slight split in it would make it blow but only slightly until it got worse then i changed it

18. andybrown303

Drives:
    Vectra B GSI
    FIXED!

It was the flange beteween manifold and downpipe blowing majorly! all fixed now thanks to the lads at work :D

tubbz2015 likes this.
  19. tubbz2015

Drives:
    vectra b 3.2 gsi
    Glad shes all sorted mate happy days now :)

20. andybrown303

Drives:
    Vectra B GSI
    Aye me too :)
    I can start playing now im happy with it :lol:

Im off after today for Christmas so f i get a spare few hours im gonna crack on getting these wheels rubbed down and painted as a temp fix for winter, they are badly, badly corroded and someone has painted over them to make em look better i think :/

Need to source some wheel arches as well so i can get the bottom of both bumpers secured poperly.

the idea was to have this as a run about while we wait for a property we own to be sold, Then i was gonna get an Astra VXR and the missus an insignia, However i may just keep this one as it i in decent shape for its age.

tubbz2015 likes this.