1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2.2dti Y22dtr Dead One Day After Engine Transplant

Discussion in 'General Car Chat' started by cambo, Feb 3, 2017.

1. cambo

cambo Active Member

Drives:
    2.2 DTi Sport
    My long trust worthy vectra b 2.2dti died january 2016

You can watch it here as it died in real time -
    it died from me spraying excessive amounts of owl engine start spray, after cleaning egr/inlet maniifold, and being far too impatient...

Anyway, one year later now, I have had a engine transplant - like for like, I purchased the engine fitted with high pressure vp44 fuel pump from a Douglas Valley Breakers for 175£

I had a friend, transplant the engine for me, which was completed successfully, as the car was untaxed and no mot, the car remained on the garage premesis, however every other day I would go and start the car and idle it for 30 minutes or so, it lasted like this for about a month

Then, one evening I was required to drive the car away from the garage due to lack of space... as it happened, the car failed to start, strange as it always started literally immediately

It took a jump start cables and easy start to get it going

Anyway, it drove reasonably well with no notice of any faults

However, the very next day with the car on the driveway, I tried to start it, and again it never started, and hasnt since, so far its been a week since its been on driveway and not once started

The day it failed to start I tried, easy start, I tried numerous times, charging battery up, tried jumper cables etc, no luck

I noticed that the EML light was on, so I checked... Key out..... key in possition two... the EML light came on, flashes off and then stays on

I checked the fault codes with OPCOM, I have p1651 and p1631 both showing as present

Over my 14 years of owning the y22dtr I have seen countless fault codes, including these, however I can not recall if the used to be not present etc

Anyway, I decided to try clearning the codes, which returned instantly as they where present

I then decided to UNPLUG the vp44 fuel pump socket so that the car ecu could not talk to the pump

I checked the fault code, and it still shown both codes as present

I then tried my second vectra ( a spare/donor 2.2 dti vectra car) which I have for spare parts, it shown no fault codes....

so then i replicated the scenario, by unplugging the fuel pump socket, to see what codes popped up.... to my suprise, only one code came up (i cant remeber which one, but it was either 1651 or 1631 on its own) showing as present... so i replugged the vp44 fuel pump socked back, and the fault code went away and i cleared the not-present history code

It seemed strange that my donor 2.2 dti shown only 1 fault code, but my main opel 2.2 shown both fault codes.

So I decided I would remove the Main car ECU out of my donor vectra and temporarily install it in my opel 2.2... I also transfered the key transponder from around the ignition key barrel so that there where no flashing immobiliser faults... at the time of swapping the main donor car ecu, the fuel pump was UNPLUGGED, - so in my eyes, the "new" donor main ecu, will have never even had chace to speak to the fuel pump

Instantly, i had fault lamp, and i checked the codes in my opel 2.2 and again 1651 and 1631 present, even tho the fuel pump was not plugged in... how can a brand new main car ecu determine that there is a fuel pump problem when it is not plugged in (keep in mind only 1 fault code appeared in the donor vec when the fuel pump was unplugged)

the two fault codes where still present when i plugged in the vp44 fuel pump socket

So I thourght perhaps, it could be my loom at fault, perhaps damaged in the engine transplant, or something unplugged on the drive home

So I completely removed the Main car ECU loom (top engine loom) from the donor 2.2 vec... which starts from the Main ECU in the skuttle panel, which leads onto the glowplug relay box, then a 80amp fuse pin which sits in the pack that sits along the back of the car battery, then the glow plug harness, and the front harness which sits above the inletmanifold and egr which ends at the thermostat/temp sensor, and also ends at the fuel pump plug/socket

So I try it again (with both ecu kits, ending with my own original opel 2.2 ecu) - and they again both shown up 1651 and 1631 faults, with and without fuel pump plugged in

So at this stage every thing is back to the same as it was

I decided to back off the fuel pump unions, to see if any diesel was being squirted out whilst i turned the key and cranked the engine over.... indeed there is fuel spitting out all four.

So in my eyes, the fuel pump is working

I had a quick chat today with vectra-sport admin david, and he said it sounds like a EDU fault (ecu on top of the fuel pump) - he says that a dead pump can still squirt fuel out the unions, but without the high pressure.

At this moment, I am not sure of the next step I should take

Any help or advice will be gladly accepted

2. cambo

cambo Active Member

Drives:
    2.2 DTi Sport
    Here a photo of both my main long standing opel 2.2 and the donor 2.2 considering I have not posted on any forum for many years

Attached Files:

3. teapot

teapot Member
    Elite Member

Drives:
    Signum 1.9 cdti 220
    I've transplanted VP44 pumps, EDU's and ECUs between various models including Astra-G, Omega-B and Vectra-C/Signum several times over the years.

Flashing EML usually means an issue between immobiliser (located in the CIM) and the ECU. However in the case of an immobiliser issue, you would not normally see any fuel ejected from the injector unions during cranking. P1131 code if I remember correctly means the EDU volume solenoid valve is open circuit. This code is usually caused by failure of the volume solenoid control transistor in the PSG5 EDU. When this happens you can solve the problem by fitting a replacement EDU or by replacing the transistor. The first option can be done by a many ECU/EDU repair firms, the second option is only suitable for those with experience in surface-mount electronic work.

4. RADB02

RADB02 Admin
    Staff Member Administrator Elite Member

Drives:
    Vec Cdti 1?? bus
    Personally I'd fit the pump from the old engine as you knew it was sound before it blew up, that should sort it;)