1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

#0066 X20xev Ecotec Supertouring

Discussion in 'Vectra Diaries' started by squall1066, Feb 25, 2018.

1. squall1066

squall1066 Active Member

Drives:
    supertouring #0066
    thought I would start a little diary, not many of these cars left now and I want people to know I am doing my bit to keep these alive (or one of them at least) so here is a little history.

I had one a few years ago, #21 loved her immensely, but was in the workshop more than the road ad was costing over £200 a month to keep tip top, I fell on hard times and rather than storing her, I decided to let her go in the hopes she would still live on, fast forward till october last year (5 months from post) things were a little better in my life and I decided to go looking to see what happened to her, I found her owner on facebook, we chatted a little and the owners in-between us did not look after her atall, and was pretty beaten up and bad dents underneath, but new owner spent a bundle on it doing it up so I was happy she lived on,

so I went hunting for another....

I found #66 for sale up north, we came to a deal and I hired a transporter to collect it (yes I did not see it) but I was happy to just own one again, I was quite happy when it arrived, but was soon getting my game head on and thinking of a plan of attack, the good news was the belly was good, and there was no big rust (the arches were going again a little) so the shell was ok, but the small problems mounted up.

dead battery, rear calipers sticky, hand brake cable snapped, electric windows failed and some not on runners properly, water in roof cavity dripping from lights, bonnet release catch not working, many leads in bay not connected, some oil/water leeks from somewhere, the list goes on...

in the past few weeks, I have solved some problems, the water in the roof cavity and dripping from the lights was shorting the battery, so a new battery was put on anyway, the rear calipers actually fully locked one day (this is a second car so parked up alot) to the point where I had to take the wheels off and force calipers to open lol, st which point the handbrake cable snapped so thats being done as I type this.

What I believe, I know from pics I have had passed to me that the car had the full btcc rally vinals on, and was taken off, I have been toled by three people that the car has had a respray, this is not true, there is old yellow bits of vinal all over the car lol, mainly on front/rear bumper, oh and the front bumper is hanging on by wood screws, there are two sticking out of the drivers side and probably more hidden under glue spots around the bumper.

the future (this year) I have the car booked in next week in a bodyshop where it will get some TLC, nothing big, just re-aligning panels and tidying up the arches, then I will crack on with some mechanics, try and sort the windows out, and make sure I have got the leek into the roof cavity, you know, get the car back up to a good standard, I plan to get the vinals back on, as this is a second car and garaged, I am looking into what that means for insurance i.e. is it a modification? and contacted a few vinal places around me to see how close we can get to original, I only have a few pics.

so there you go, here is a pic of what the car looked like a few years ago, I will update with new pics as I remember to do it, its looks in a sorry state right now as I have been attacking her lol

Attached Files:

Mr and Mrs V, paul 130 and s4ddys like this.
  2. squall1066

squall1066 Active Member

Drives:
    supertouring #0066
    update,

so quite a bit done, more the cosmetic side, got the front/rear bumper and skirts tidy allong with the rear arches, so thats done for the next 5 years, I went and filled it up with premium, and overnight half of the tank emptied on my drive :-/
    had a look and there is a pipe running over the tank that has split, so its another job on the list, as long as I dont fill more than half a tank I am fin as it does not leak lower down lol

I got an oil leak too, and somewhere I loose a little water, leaks everywhere, along with water getting in roof cavity (from windscreen I guess) I will pull back lining and tiget it from the inside I guess.

but still, I managed to open her up for a few miles and taken this pic for your viewing pleasure.

Mumbles pier

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

paul 130 likes this.
  3. squall1066

squall1066 Active Member

Drives:
    supertouring #0066
    so due to bad weather I stopped for a bit so not done too much recently, found I have a oil leak as well as a water leak, ontop of the fuel leak as well as a battery short somewhere, I thinks me been had on this car lol,

so the headlining was in bad shape so I ripped it out (carefully) and the card to see if I could find how water was getting into the drivers light unit, on closer inspection, I cant see it, I was told to just tiger seal (non silicone) the windscreen from behind as this does not have a sun roof it was 100% getting in there, but I see no rust or water marks, I guess I will have to put the hose on it for a while and have a look.

oh, I also changed the front grill back to the vauxhall silver "V" (back to profile pic) as it has the irmy one on, plus changed the gear/handbrake gator to the black/yellow ones from flea bay.

thats all for now, I will be spending the next month under the car solving the leeks, see you all soon.

P.S. I have left the facebook group for supertourings, a few bad apples there, I not only got no support for what I was doing but was actually ridiculed there for my style choices, so I removed myself from the situation, I wish the good people there luck, but I cant deal with childish attitudes at my age.

#3 squall1066, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    Mr and Mrs V likes this.
  4. Vectra-Arctic

Vectra-Arctic Well-Known Member
    Elite Member

Drives:
    3 Vectra B's.
    [​IMG]
    I know what you mean about being less tolerant of stupid people and their attitudes. I don't do social media, never have, never will.

I bought my 4th Vectra B about 6 months ago which my daughter uses. That had the same problem, when I bought it it was reading just over the 20 litre mark, but when she filled the tank it started to keak. A Vauxhall mechanic I know had a look and found that the breather pipe had some splits in it. I found a new decent pipe on ebay and he fitted it, problem solved. I can send you the ebay number for the pipe if you need.

#4 Vectra-Arctic, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  5. EARBYCR

EARBYCR Member

Drives:
    2.2 DTi
    nicw looking B keep up the great work on it, good luck finding the leak, i have a roof leak issue, but i think mine is the ariel, i will sort it when we get some more decent weather.

I can not be bothered doing another B diary. may pop up some pics though one day.

6. squall1066

squall1066 Active Member

Drives:
    supertouring #0066
    thanks guys, so the sun came out and I decided to wash her, I will be honest with whats happened in the past few weeks seriously made me think about if I wanted to continue, allow me to elaborate:-

so the roof leak was bugging me, I completely removed the header board to see if I could spot anything, and I could not, well not properly, there was a small amount of rust all across the front windscreen join, then I decided in my wisdom to renew the head lining, so bought some of that, did that, that was no problem, but upon fitting it, the front seat belt columns (both sides) decided they wern't going back in, and the clips that move this belt adjustment had come away, and for the life of me I can't get them back in, But the worst bit was the tiger seal I put along the front rim, it went everywhere! all over the glass, all over the new lining I put in, a right mess!!

so that taken a day, another day I decided to replace the breather pipe, and to be honest, it was not a bad job, some of the bolts to release the fuel tank was not playing ball with me so after swearing at them, they decided to move eventually.

this car really needs a good few grand throwing at it, at my age I was considering what I had taken on, the pro's is it is good body with good under carriage, its all mechanical and cosmetic really, but after cleaning the car and a cuppa, I looked at her, and I just cant give up.

so thats where I am right now, next week I am going to attack the water and oil leak, I suspect the water leak is overheating issue, as the temps get stupid high and I cant hear the fan go on, so I will test all that and see whats going on there.

7. squall1066

squall1066 Active Member

Drives:
    supertouring #0066
    Right, bit of an update here, where to start, lol, well the fuel leak was just the breather pipe, so emptied the tank, dropped it (not literally) and replaced pipe, so that was all good and simple.

oil leek was a small "O" ring on intake, a small piece but let out alot of oil, so that was simple but time consuming as there was oil everywhere so I could not see the leek :p

the water leak was a big problem, there were blockages in most of the pipe so I replaced all that, and flushed it, still was not working, found out the pump was making the right noises but was not doing anything,
    so I had to get a new pump and change the whole timing belt, this took days!! but as I did not know when the timing belt was last done, I now have some history lol

the radiator fan was still not kicking in, I could not get the oil temp switch out as I thought I would break something, so I ended up wiring it on all the time for now, I will get someone else to look at it when I have more money.

oh and the horn did not work through the steering wheel so I wired it up to a switch under the wheel, I will put right if I find someone here who can fix the one I have or maybe get another, but they are not cheep now the carbon fiber ST ones.

so lots of things done, its now not a colander, and I can actually use it, mean while the car is filthy and needs some tlc, over the weekend I will clean her up and get some pics on for you guys.

EARBYCR likes this.
  8. NeilGo

NeilGo Well-Known Member
    Elite Member

Drives:
    2.5 V6 SuperTouring
    Great to see another B saved and sounds like you're making steady progress. I know the feeling about needing to spend a few thousand. That's where I am now in terms of the bodywork. One day...

Keep the pics coming :)

9. squall1066

squall1066 Active Member

Drives:
    supertouring #0066
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

here are pics as promised.

NeilGo likes this.
  10. squall1066

squall1066 Active Member

Drives:
    supertouring #0066
    some more problems popped up today, the fan is failing, temps getting high, its still works as I can hear it turn on, but very weak, also a real bad creak sound from rear wheels when I go over speed bumps, sounds like springs rather than bushes as there is no knocking sound, just a creak, so could be suspension failing/leaking, if I have to strip it all out might as well go whole hog and put new bushes in and coil/springs, maybe progression, get it handling a little better, I think its the original setup still under there, do I have to do fronts to match as long as its same height? I will do all round eventually, but looking to spread the work load, its far to hot here to do much, I am still sorting out the garden :-/

Mr and Mrs V likes this.
  11. squall1066

squall1066 Active Member

Drives:
    supertouring #0066
    not much done this period I am afraid chaps and chapess'ess, As this car has had an engine change before I got it, The loom is different, there are unused plugs and splicing everywhere, I cant for the life of me work out why the fan wont work, so I had to wire it up permanently for now, and it kept blowing the 30 amp fuse (main one near battery) so I got a 40amp in there for short term, anyone got a clue whats going on, I have checked for shorts and continuity, I found a short in pass side sun visor vanity light, it was sparking on roof, and it has not blown a fuse yet, but I have not run it far yet either. Tho I am still working with no circuitry diagram, might just have to grab a book for it, and study up.

going to wash it and change rear light clusters, and strip front passenger door as the window does not move.

12. squall1066

squall1066 Active Member

Drives:
    supertouring #0066
    spent alot of time on her recently, I am still overheating, I am not getting any water in oil, I am not loosing any water, so I stripped out the rad, pressure tested ok, I have two sensors on it, one with a rectangle blue 3 pin (38330) and one with a round grey 3 pin in a uk plug config (268137), when I google what they are they BOTH come up as a water temp sensor fan switch? both of them? anyone got any more info on these?

other than that I have stripped down the n/s/f door as the window was not going up true, all ways being held down forward, I remounted the glass and it still does it :-/

still fighting to keep this car alive, every move I make creates two or three more jobs, when I am done I want to take a week or so out and drive round the UK.

NeilGo likes this.
  13. Vectra-Arctic

Elite Member

Drives:
    3 Vectra B's.
    Persevere with it :D

14. NeilGo

NeilGo Well-Known Member
    Elite Member

Drives:
    2.5 V6 SuperTouring
    Think you need a new regulator for the window. Mine did this. It sticks then bends and that can cause the problem.

15. squall1066

squall1066 Active Member

Drives:
    supertouring #0066
    thanks guys, here is the story, this is now too much work for me, I wanted something I could work on at home, but now it needs some big work, so I am sending it off to my mates garage 3 hours away.

I do not trust any garages round by me, I have tested them all with small problems with my other car and they all failed miserably.

so the only updates will be from my friend as/when work is being done, I so hope I look back at these posts and laugh, as I am not in a very happy mood right now, I did not want to spent much on labour but I cant do big jobs on my drive, I will not let another ST reach the scrappy in the sky.

the good news is I have ordered the btcc '96 rally stickers for when its done :)

on the look out for half leathers sri interiors.

16. squall1066

squall1066 Active Member

Drives:
    supertouring #0066
    another entry in my log diary,

my friend is really chocked down with work, and sounded like they really did not want a project sitting taking up space in workshop, so I taken the plunge to try and sort out some things myself, the car overhaeting really bad, like steam in under 10 min idling on my drive on cool weather.

the left pipe into the heater matrix was hot but right was cold, so I thought there was a blockage, I stripped it all out and it was fine, then I found a heater bypass valve on the pipes, and with engine off it was closed, I am not sure if this is correct, there is nothing about it in the Haynes manual?!?! but when the car was running I got no hot air so I guess this is faulty, but the problem is, even tho their is a problem with getting heat into the matrix, this will not cause overheating, as the coolant does not need to run through the matrix to complete its circuit.

so I am stuffed, the whole loop looks ok, the water pump is running and there are no blocks air locks, I am not loosing water on ground or in oil, my fan still does not kick in, so I have removed the loom and checking continuity and relays/fuses.

also I went round more workshops in the area and no one wants to know, if its not a quick job with quick turnaround, no one is interested.

I have reached the end of my technical ability, I will finish the loom, and check what else I can, if I cant get progress atall I will strip and scrap her, south wales is friendly untill you want help I guess.

beer time....

17. squall1066

squall1066 Active Member

Drives:
    supertouring #0066
    also, (cant edit last post for some reason) I have done a full service and changed the water pump, I have movement in header tank so it all looks like its moving well.

18. Vectra-Arctic

Elite Member

Drives:
    3 Vectra B's.
    Good, hope you keep her.

squall1066 likes this.
  19. squall1066

squall1066 Active Member

Drives:
    supertouring #0066
    had a few days re-wiring the looms, both the fan and top sensor loom, the ones with wrap on are the ones I have done, the pics make the bay look really bad with rust and the lie but I cant see it in real life lol

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg

anyone know a converter for the stereo MID? left is connector on loom, right is socket on stereo?

Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg

got these 3 connectors spare on the fan loom, I have all the fan switches/sensors plugged in, I re-wired them even tho they were not plugged in before I touched it.